Exploration and adventure is part and parcel of owning a motorbike. The joy of riding is unrivalled; just you, your bike and the open road. It’s heaven.

So it’s no surprise that motorbike touring holidays are so popular within the biking community. The opportunity to take your bike on an exhilarating road trip is something every biker should have and the memories you’ll make will last a lifetime!

If you’re one of the many UK bikers who feel like hopping on your motorbike and taking a ferry over to the European mainland for a new adventure, you’ll no doubt want to know how to make sure you’re covered while you’re away.


Am I automatically covered for riding abroad?

Many insurance providers include 90 days EU cover in their policies. However, you’ll have to double check your specific policy because that’s not a given. If you do get 90 days EU cover, you’ll also need to check your policy to see whether the 90 days is for a single trip, or multiple trips for a combined total of 90 days.

If you’re looking for a new policy, either because your existing one is up for renewal or you’ve got your first motorbike, then be sure to check the policy you choose has you covered for biking outside the UK.


Will anything affect the price of my insurance?

Like all types of insurance policies, calculating the cost of your cover for a motorbike holiday abroad will depend on a number of factors. The type of motorbike you’ll be riding and the type of roads you’ll be riding on will determine how much you pay. For example, if you’ve got a 50cc moped and you’re planning a leisurely trip throughout the Italian countryside, you’re likely to be deemed less of a risk than if you’re going to be off-roading on a 1000cc motorbike.

Your insurer will also need to know extra details of your bike, such as its age, model and manufacturer. As well details about your trip such as how long you’re going to be away and which countries you are visiting.


Do I still need regular travel insurance?

If you’ve got motorbike insurance, whether it’s third party only or comprehensive cover, you’ll still need to have regular travel insurance for when you’re outside of the UK. This will ensure you’re covered for medical expenses, theft or loss of your belongings, and for any travel disruptions or cancellations along the way.


What level of cover will I get?

When riding your bike outside of the UK, you usually get the minimum cover possible – even if you have comprehensive cover at home. So that means you’re likely to have third party. But of course, every policy and insurance provider is different so it’s important to double check your terms. Make sure you’re covered for the type of trip you’re taking, and double check you can afford your excess before you make your final decision.

When you choose a motorbike insurance policy through Carole Nash, you get 90 days EU cover for peace of mind that your pride and joy is fully protected. All our touring motorcycle insurance policies come with a variety of benefits as standard, including legal expenses cover and UK and European accident and breakdown recovery.


Please note: information in this article may no longer be accurate post-Brexit. Please double check with your insurer before travelling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *